Keeping your wine at just the right temperature definitely isn’t easy if you don’t have the right refrigerator to make it happen. But the best possible way to keep your wine cold (but not too cold) isn’t in the refrigerator at all.
It’s actually in a wine cellar or cooler that’s perfectly designed for just that, wine and only wine.
Missy Enders, Author, HESCA
#1 AKDY 21 Bottle
View On Amazon
If you’re looking for something high tech that is definitely going to hold a decent amount of wine then you want the AKDY 21 Bottle Wine Cooler. This one isn’t just going to hold all of your wine, but it’s actually going to keep it at just the right temperatures no matter what kind you have. That’s because it actually has two different zones for different levels of chill.
The interior of this wine cooler has an electronic touchpad that lets you precisely control the temperature and see the temperature settings easily. You’ll even be able to see the current settings from outside of the cooler because of the LED lighting so you know if it’s set where you want or if you need to adjust the numbers.
The lower section of this cooler holds a total of 15 bottles while the upper section holds 6 so you can get several different types of wine and keep them just the way you want. It also uses thermoelectric cooling by fan so you get less noise and vibration but the same high quality that you expect from your cooler.
- You’re going to get a lower amount of energy consumption overall as well as better efficiency and heat dissipation, which is extremely important when you’re trying to keep your wine cool but the unit cool as well. Even better is that each of the shelves is made of wood and designed to slide out so you can easily get to any bottle that you want.
- The bottles all store the same way, side by side, so you can see them all at the same time and you don’t have to worry about anything slipping or sliding around inside the machine. They’re all held perfectly still and secure.
#2 Danby 36 Bottle
View On Amazon
This 36 bottle wine cooler is designed to give you a sleek look and style that fits well in any part of your house. It has six horizontal shelves that showcase the front of each of your bottles as well as two shelves which showcase the side of bottles for a more unique look and a better method of separating different types.
The wire of the 8 different shelves ensures that your bottle stays steady and secure in the cooler and the LED light inside really shows off the bottles with a blue light that doesn’t let off any heat. The UV protection built into the door helps you keep your wine just the way you want it and ready for your next special occasion (or dinner).
The weight of this cooler is a little high, so you’ll want to make sure you get it right where you want from the start and then let it stay there for quite a while but with the stainless steel accents and the unique look you’re definitely not going to have a problem with that. What’s even better is you have control over the temperature to keep it from 43 – 57 degrees Fahrenheit and you can reverse the door to swing either direction based on your home.
- This cooler uses a compressor to keep everything cold, which means it’s a little bit louder than a thermoelectric unit, but it does have the ability to remove shelves whenever you want so you can add in taller bottles that may not fit directly on the shelves. It’s designed similar to a refrigerator as well and ensures that you have plenty of cooling overall, with a slight difference in degrees between the upper and lower racks. Make sure that you’re sorting your wine according to this difference.
#3 Igloo 6 Bottle
View On Amazon
If you’re looking for something small that’s going to store just a few bottles of wine for a special occasion this 6-bottle Wine Cooler from Igloo is definitely a great option. It has a 2 layer glass in the door and has a sleek and stylish look that works great in any area of your house. Since it’s much smaller than other wine coolers there’s also no problem finding a perfect place to put it.
The controls for temperature are easily adjustable so you can get the unit just the right temperature for the type of wine you have stored and there’s an interior light that helps you see the bottles both for choosing which one you want and showcasing it to anyone who happens to be visiting your home. On top of that, the racks are adjustable and have individual styling to make sure that each bottle sits firmly, even when the rack isn’t full.
This lightweight unit is great for people who are interested in just a few special bottles and even works for larger ones because the shelves are fully removable when you need to store something that wouldn’t otherwise fit comfortably. That’s great for those who like different types of wine and may want to store some smaller and some larger at different points in time.
- This is a great cooler for those who are not as big of wine connoisseurs and who prefer to start with something a little more basic. You’ll get something that works well for what it is, but it doesn’t come with a lot of the features that go along with more advanced units. You won’t get a temperature readout, for example, or accent lighting that’s designed to make it look more unique. Instead, you’re going to get basic controls including a dial for temperature and reasonable durability.
Wine Refrigerator Buyer’s Guide
You want to think about just how much wine your household actually drinks and how much you want to keep on hand when you’re looking at a wine cooler. There are options that range from as small as 4 bottles all the way up to 30 or more so you definitely want to make sure you’re looking at what you’re going to use. If you have a large cooler and you don’t fill it you could actually be decreasing the overall efficiency that you have, but on the other hand if you drink a lot of wine and only have a small cooler it’s not going to be ready for you.
Some wine coolers are going to be a simple box with a cooling option that is relatively basic and keeps out humidity. These are the simpler and less expensive ones, but others are going to have some additional options, like shelving with different size bottle spaces, UV protected glass, pull out shelving, different temperature zones for different types of wine and even more. Some even have digital temperature controls and remotes so you don’t even need to be nearby in order to change things out and improve what it’s doing.
If you have a cool space that you can store your wine in you may not actually need a wine cooler at all. You want to think about this before you make that purchase because you could be spending money on something that you really don’t need. If you don’t have a cool space then a wine cooler is definitely the best way to go because it’s going to make sure that you get good quality overall and that you’re going to keep your wine at the ideal temperature instead of just letting it sit in your fridge or in a cupboard until you want it.
Finally, you want to look at the style of the wine cooler that you’re getting. If you’re going to be putting it somewhere in the main living area of your house you want to make sure that it looks good. If you’re going to be leaving it somewhere that no one is really going to see it then the overall style isn’t as important as the functionality. You want to make sure that you’re looking at these options when you first decide what you’re going to buy.
A good wine cooler should look nice and it should provide a high quality function. Whether you’re spending a little on wine or you’re spending a lot you definitely want to make sure that you’re getting high quality and that you’re going to get enough use out of it. Make sure that you’re looking at all of the features and the size as well as other information about the wine cooler that you select and you’re definitely going to have a better chance at having the wine you want, when you want it.
- How to Choose a Wine Cooler: Basics for the Novice Wine Collector
- Wine Refrigerator Buying Guide