There are very few things that you can do in the kitchen without some decent knives, but the type of knives that you want is actually going to be quite varied.
You might need different knives than someone else that you know because of the type of food that you like to cook. It’s all about making sure you get something quality and something that has a good range of capabilities.
Missy Enders, Author, HESCA
#1 Calphalon Contemporary
View On Amazon
This Calphalon knife set is definitely going to look sleek and elegant sitting on your counter or wherever you decide to store it because it’s designed in a more stylish way. It has a deep color stain over the maple wood and features stainless steel accents that really stand out and make sure the knives stand out as well.
Each knife has its own spot in the block and each spot has a built in knife sharpener so every time you slide the knife in or out of its place you’re actually sharpening it for your next use. This helps to ensure you never have a dull blade when you’re in a hurry trying to get dinner ready or when you’re making up something for a special occasion.
The sharpeners on the inside are ceramic so you don’t have to worry about anything happening to them even if you need to move your block around frequently or you’re constantly moving your knives. You’ll be able to keep using this for a very long time to come without any problem with breaking or dulling.
- In this set there are 19 knives which include 8 steak knives and a variety of more specialized knives. These even include a bread knife, fork, boning knife, parer and chef’s knife as well as some moderately sized blades for other uses and a pair of kitchen shears to help you cut open packages whenever you need them.
- All of the knives are made with high-carbon German steel that is fully forged except for the stamped steak knives and you get ergonomic handles and full tang in each blade to make sure you can use them whenever you want.
#2 Chicago Cutlery Belmont
View On Amazon
This 16 piece set is designed to give you everything you need in your basic kitchen and a little bit extra to go along with it. You get 8 steak knives as well as a set of kitchen shears but you’re also going to get 6 additional knives that range from large to moderate size so you’re ready for cutting anything at all.
The block is an espresso stained wood with an individual slot for each piece so you can make sure your block looks great sitting on the counter and also provides good quality and a safe place to store each of your knives. You even get a sharpening steel included with the unit so you always have a way to get your blades as sharp as you need them.
Each knife has an ergonomic style handle in a deep black so that it looks great and is easy to hold for extended periods of time while you’re cutting and chopping anything in your kitchen. You’ll also be able to use them for a long time without concern for damage because of the full tang that provides you with just the right amount of strength and also contributes to the amount of control you have available.
- These blades are designed with more than just looks but with quality as well and that goes above and beyond the full tang. The precision sharpness and the durability that each piece is made with is also well known and part of the reason that Chicago Cutlery is so well known in the kitchenware business.
- You’ll definitely get something that you can use for a long time and that you will be able to trust as well. All you have to do is find a place to put the block on your counter.
#3 Cuisinart Advantage
View On Amazon
If you’re just looking for a simple knife set that will help you cut and chop just about everything in your kitchen then the Cuisinart Advantage is a great choice for you. It comes with 6 brightly colored knives and matching covers so they aren’t going to get damaged or broken sitting in your drawer. This also makes them safer when storing so you don’t accidentally get ahold of the blade when you reach into that drawer.
The blade is nonstick as well as stainless steel so you can cut and chop easily without having to worry about anything and they’re color coded which means you can use them for different types of food without having any problem with cross-contamination as you go. This is especially important when preparing larger meals with more courses or with fish and poultry products.
Each blade is definitely going to be unique and you’re absolutely going to love the way that they fit in your hand while you’re cutting and chopping. That’s what makes it so easy to use them and what makes them a great choice for a number of different kitchens where high tech or more fancy cooking are not the ‘norm.’
- The handles on each knife are made with plastic and the entire tool is dishwasher safe so you don’t have to worry about washing them by hand. This makes the cleanup process a whole lot easier when you’re done cutting and chopping for the day and you’ll be able to put them aware wherever you want.
- It doesn’t come with a block of its own, but this set is still going to be a great tool and a great addition for your home and your cooking needs because of the variety that you get and the covers to keep you safe.
Kitchen Knife Set Buyer’s Guide
Quality and Material
The first thing you want to know is what your knives are made of. If they’re made with plastic they’re not going to be very strong or durable. If they’re made with ceramic or stainless steel or something equally strong you’re going to have a much better quality knife that’s likely to last a lot longer than something made with cheap materials. You want to make sure that you’re getting these stronger materials so you can make sure your knives are going to last as long as you want rather than having to replace them frequently.
Variety of Knives
The next thing you want to look at is what type of knives you’re going to get. If you’re only getting a couple you’re probably not going to be prepared for anything that might come your way. On the other hand, you don’t want a set that’s too huge because you’re not likely to use all of the knives. You want something that is going to give you a decent amount of variety balanced out with the reasonableness of something that you are actually going to use. Make sure that you consider all of this when you are looking at your next knife set.
It’s not just about the blade of the knife having a good quality overall. You also want to make sure that the handles are made to a high standard. This is what you’re going to hold onto, after all, and you want to make sure you can use it for an extended period of time if necessary. If you’re going to use your kitchen knives a lot you need a handle that’s more ergonomic and will fit in your hand. If you’re only going to use them occasionally this may be an unnecessary upgrade.
How It’s Built
Finally, make sure you know how your knife is actually built. A stamped knife is one that is cut out similar to the way you make cookies. You roll out the steel, cut out the shape and then it’s done (well, once they put a handle on top). If it’s forged then that means the metal is heated and folded together then cooled, heated and folded again and so on until the knife is fully formed. These knives are more sturdy and tend to last longer. You want to know which one your knife is made from so you know the overall durability.
It’s going to be up to you what type of knives you think are the most important. If you can find good quality knives that will work for your purposes then you’re going to be doing great for your kitchen. Whether that means you buy a large set with every type of knife you can think of or a smaller set that just has a few more basic types is entirely up to you and your household, so make sure you know what you’re getting into and that you’re really working at finding what’s best for you.
- Buyer’s Guide- Choosing Kitchen Knives
- Kitchen Samurai: Selecting Your Knife Set