Coffee is just not warm and energizing .It is actually very healthy as it is loaded with antioxidants and other beneficial nutrients that can improve your health. Coffee drinkers tend to have a much lower risk of several serious diseases. The following are some of the reasons why coffee is one of the healthiest beverages that shouldn’t miss in your diet:
Coffee can improve your energy levels thus making you smarter.
Coffee not only keeps you awake but also makes you smarter. It contains a stimulant called caffeine which is actually one of the most consumed psychoactive substances. After you have your cup of coffee, the caffeine is absorbed into the blood stream and thus travels into the brain. In the brain, caffeine blocks and inhibitory neurotransmitter known as Adenosine and when this happens the amount of other neurotransmitters increases yielding to enhanced firing of neurons. Coffee also improves various aspects of brain function such as memory, mood, vigilance, energy levels, reaction times and the general cognitive function.
Coffee can help in the burning of fat thus improving physical performance.
Caffeine is found in almost all commercial fat burning supplements as it is one of the very few natural substances that have been proven to help in fat burning. Research show that caffeine can stimulate the metabolic rate and specifically increase the burning of fat this is due to its stimulant effects on the central nervous system. Caffeine can also improve physical performance thus making you a good athlete. This is because caffeine increases the number of fatty acids in the bloodstream which allows athletes muscles to absorb and burn those fats for fuel thus saving the body’s small reserved carbohydrates for later use in the exercise.
Coffee can reduce the risk of developing type II diabetes.
Type II diabetes is a lifestyle disease that has reached an epidemic proportions having increased in a few decades. The disease is characterized by high glucose levels due to inability to produce insulin or insulin resistance. Study shows that coffee drinkers have a low risk of developing type II diabetes.
Coffee lowers the risk of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
Coffee not only has short term benefit but also protect your brain at old age thus helping in keeping your brain healthier for longer. Alzheimer’s disease is the most common neuro-degenerative disorder and a leading cause of dementia while Parkinson’s is the second most common neuro-degenerative disorder which is characterized by death of dopamine-generating neurons in the brain. Moderate coffee drinking reduces the risk.
Coffee is good for your liver.
Your liver is a very remarkable organ that carries a lot of vital functions but very vulnerable to modern issues such as excessive consumption of alcohol and fructose. The liver tissues could also be largely replaced by scar tissues especially when one suffers hepatitis and alcoholism. Coffee can lower the risk of cirrhosis and liver cancer.
Back coffee prevents cavities.
Study shows that strong black coffee kills the bacteria on teeth that may lead to tooth decay. This may not be the case when one adds milk and sugar.
Coffee consumption is linked to lower level suicide.
Just by smelling coffee your stress is relieved and thus coffee drinkers are likely to be less depressed. This is because coffee acts as a mild antidepressant by aiding in the production of neurotransmitters like serotonin.
Tips for Healthier Coffee Drinking
Coffee is health but can be dangerous is taken for the sake of it. Too much coffee may not yield the mentioned health benefits. You cannot compare taking two cups of coffee a day and taking a pot of coffee in a day. The following tips will help you have a healthier coffee drinking:
- Choose organic coffee as the benefits of coffee starts from the growing. Organic coffee is healthier compared to conventional coffee which is heavily sprayed. It is also very important if you stayed away from flavored coffee.
- It’s also healthy avoiding sugar; this may be hard for most people. What most people crave for may not be caffeine but the sugar which is very unhealthy. You may use natural honey in place of sugar and avoid flavored honey.
- While filtering coffee, brown paper filter are more natural compared to the white filter papers. As such to have the absolute healthiest coffee avoid the white filter pares as they have bleaching process thus basically leaching out those chemicals when brewing your coffee.
- While drinking hot coffee avoid using plastic cups. This is because BPA that leak form the plastic cup into the drink. The rate at which it leaks is so dependent to the overall temperature. Glass cups and jars perfectly suit coffee drinking for all possible reasons.
- Add some cinnamon to your coffee if you need some flavor as study show that cinnamon can lower blood glucose, cholesterol and triglycerides in diabetics.
- Avoid low-fat and artificial creamers as they tend to be highly processed and full of unnatural harmful ingredients. Instead you can use some full-fat cream directly from the cow as this is more nutritious.
- It is also wise to buy whole beans and grid them at home. This will be an assurance that you are using freshly ground coffee which is healthier. If you do the grinding yourself you also avoid exposing the coffee beans to air as this can cause the coffee beans to begin breaking down and thus the inner content are exposed to oxygen and moisture.
- Also ensure that you don’t take too much coffee in a day as you may end up an addict. Coffee should also be taken after meals as caffeine causes your body to release sugar in into your blood stream which intern stimulates the release of insulin. On an empty stomach this can cause sharp drop in sugar which can then set up more sugar craving.
Health snacks that can be served with coffee.
If you have sworn against junk like doughnuts and cakes, the following is just but a sample of healthy snacks that you can serve with coffee;
Pumpkin sliced seeds; you can avoid the sugar-laden pumpkin spice latte and go for the lightly seasoned seeds. In preparing them, you heat the oven to 350 degrees; put raw shelled unsalted pumpkin seeds in large bowl. Add olive oil and pure maple syrup, cinnamon, kosher salt, and nutmeg. Toss to coat. Spread in single layer on parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 8 minutes.
Vitalicious Wild Blueberry; they’re made with wild blueberries which contain more antioxidants than their larger counterparts plus whole wheat and organic sugar. No artificial preservatives or colors, either thus health.
EBlogfa – http://eblogfa.com/7609/6-tips-to-remember-for-healthier-coffee-drinking
Authority Nutrition – https://authoritynutrition.com/why-is-coffee-good-for-you/
Huffington Post – http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/17/coffee-health-benefits_n_4102133.html
Caffeine Informer – http://www.caffeineinformer.com/7-good-reasons-to-drink-coffee
Camano Island Coffee (infographic) – http://camanoislandcoffee.com/6-amazing-health-benefits-coffee/