Prevagen is a memory-boosting supplement extracted from jellyfish. The jellyfish has an apoaequorin, which is a protein and calcium nutrients, vital in the making of this brain supplement. According to Prevagen’s label and official website, this compound is clinically proven to assist with mild memory complications, typically diagnosed in the aging population, usually above 40 years.
Additionally, the Prevagen’s label makes a bold statement that this supplement improves memory. Scientifically, the human brain begins to fail in some things, for example, remembering things from the age of 40. It is for this reason that a supplement like Prevagen comes into place to provide an additional cognitive support. The manufacturer also claims that this will only take 90 days to see changes in brain functions, for example, memory boost and clearer thinking among others.
How It Works
Prevagen, usually in capsules are ingested. The apoaequorin is set to release protein and calcium that is vital for improving sleep quality and boosting memory functions. Apoaequorin provides the brain with calcium that plays a role in reducing age-related mental decline. More fundamentally, the protein produced by this ingredient also help in the growth of a healthy brain hence reduce memory loss significantly. According to the official website, this supplement is said to help in;
- Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis- Some reports suggest that taking 20 mg of apoaequorin every 2-3 waking hours and an additional 20-40 milligram, around one hour before bed along with other drugs and supplements might slow the progression of ALS. The effects of taking apoaequorin alone are not clear.
- Mental function- Early research shows that taking 10 milligrams of apoaequorin, daily for 90 days, improves some mental function in older adults.
- Memory- Early research shows that taking 10 mg of apoaequorin on a daily basis, for 90 days, might improve forgetfulness, word recall, and the need for reminders in some people. However, this research is of lower quality.
- Sleep quality- Early research shows that taking 10 mg of apoaequorin, daily for 90 days might increase sleep time by around one hour per night, cut nighttime awakenings by 50%, and improve sleep quality in over 90% of people with trouble sleeping.
Quincy Bioscience, a biotechnology company, based in Madison, Wisconsin, US, manufactures Prevagen. It focuses on the discovery, development and commercialization of novel technologies to support cognitive function and other regular health challenges such as mild memory problems associated with aging. The firm has its official website where more about this product is.
However, this company has had some legal tussles with Foods and Drugs Administration, with various complaints raised about Prevagen, claiming that this product could not treat head injuries and Alzheimer’s disease, after causing adverse reactions in patients with these conditions. The FDA has also raised concerns about the main ingredient, apoaequorin, citing it is a synthetic protein and not a dietary supplement. The claim is found in the maker’s official site, “Apoaequorin, from jellyfish is grown in a safe and controlled manufacturing process.”
The main ingredient in this product is the apoaequorin protein. The product’s official website claims that it helps in the improvement of cognitive function, making it an essential nutrient for older. Additionally, it helps in improving the ability to recall information.
Apoaequorin has calcium ingredients. The calcium helps in enhancing calcium homeostasis hence contribute to reducing the adverse effects of dementia and cognitive dysfunction. The calcium is also used in protecting neurons from ischemic cell death and regulate intracellular calcium levels.
Other ingredients include;
- Disodium EDTA- From the supplement’s bottle, each veggie capsule has about 10 milligrams of sodium. It is slightly below the recommended daily consumption of sodium, 1%.
- Magnesium Stearate- We know that minerals such as magnesium and zinc are critical cofactors for basic functions of the brains, hence essential in support of cell membrane health.
- Acetic Acid- One well-supported function of acetic acid in the body has increased responsiveness to sensory stimuli, a form of attention. Acetic acid helps in the suppression of intracortical information transmission in the cortex. Some forms of learning and plasticity in cortex appear dependent on the presence of acetic acid.
- Sodium Chloride- Popularly known as salt, this ingredient helps in maintaining sodium-potassium balance in the body. When the pump is working, sodium goes in the cells and potassium works out, which releases energy in your body. The energy created helps your muscles relax and contract then transmit nerve impulses to your brain.
- White rice flour.
Product Pricing and Ordering
Prevagen comes in some plans, as cited on the products website. They are;
- Preferred Customer Plan- According to the maker’s site, this is the most convenient way to take Prevagen as it saves you USD per month. Each bottle of Prevagen is only USD, with an additional USD, when you enroll in the Preferred Customer Plan. It comes with a 30-Day Money Back Guarantee. With this plan, your bottles of Prevagen will automatically be delivered to your shipping address once per month. No minimum time commitment is required.
- Prevagen Regular Strength Prevagen- It is a one-month supply USD. This tub contains Prevagen contains 30 vegetarian capsules and comes with our 30-Day, 100% Money Back Guarantee.
- Prevagen Regular Strength 3-Month Prevagen – This offers interested buyers an offer. Buy 2 Get one free at USD. However, buyers have to buy one of the most popular Prevagen products. It is a three-month supply and comes with our 30-Day 100% Money Back Guarantee. You save $, meaning that this works out to only $ per bottle.
Prevagen is bought from almost anywhere; Botanic Choice, CVS, Drugstore, GNC, iHerb.com, Lucky Vitamin, Puritans Pride, Rite Aid, Swanson Health products, Target, Vita Cost, Vitamin-Shoppe, and Walgreens. However, it is not recommended to buy a product of this kind from unknown retailer websites. It is advised to purchase supplements from official websites only to avoid the problem of a forgery.
- Prevagen claims to help preserve healthy brain.
- This supplement promises to help enhance focus and awareness.
- Keep brain cells from age-related complications.
- There are no proofs for all the declaration made by the creator of Prevagen.
- There is no evidence that the apoaequorin would endure the tummy or exceed the blood-brain obstacle.
- The FDA disputes the safety of apoaequorin.
Customer Reviews and Results
Scientific Backing from Official Website
Study 1: Effects of the Calcium Binding Protein Apoaequorin on Memory and Cognitive Function in Older Adults.
Madison Memory Study did this study in 2016, seeking to examine the effect of Prevagen on cognitive function in a study population of community-dwelling, older adults with self-reported cognitive difficulties or concerns. For 90 days, participants were given 10 milligrams of Apoaequorin.
Results; Prevagen demonstrated the ability to improve aspects of cognitive function in older participants with either healthy cognitive aging or very mild impairment, as determined by AD8 screening.
Study 2: Prevagen Quality of Life Study, Memory Test Scores Improved.
The Prevagen Quality of Life Study was an open-label study of 56 healthy participants over a 90-day period measuring perceived changes in overall cognition and general health.
Results: Reports on member’s questionnaires showed that their memory was better than before. The study concluded that this product improved performance across all parameters.
Study 3: Impact of Prevagen on Sleep Quality.
Subjects, 55 of them, were healthy people but took Prevagen before sleep and were followed for 90 days.
Results; People getting Prevagen reported getting more sleep at night.
Study 4: Safety Assessment of Apoaequorin
Goodman group at Food Allergy Research and Resource Program at the University of Nebraska, Lincoln, Nevada conducted this research, to find out the allergic cross-reactivity of Apoaequorin on users. A bioinformatics assessment was carried out on apoaequorin against known allergens and a laboratory test to assess potential allergenicity by simulating gastric digestion of apoaequorin’s amino acid sequencewas conducted.
Results; The results from the bioinformatics searches with the apoaequorin sequence show that it is not a known allergen and not likely to cross-react with known allergens.
Evaluation on Prevagen
There is lots of information that Quincy Bioscience is not disclosing to the public. To begin with, are the safety concerns raised by the FDA. The product can be hardly called natural as its main ingredient, apoaequorin, is not directly extracted from the jellyfish. This statement from the official site, “Apoaequorin, originally from the fish is developed in a safe and controlled manufacturing process.” It means that the main ingredient is produced artificiallyn in the laboratory environment. Apoaequorin in itself, cannot solve cognitive problems in people. Besides, it may carry potential dangers which have been kept back by the manufacturer. The FDA maintains that since apoaequorin in Prevagen is created synthetically created and is classified as a drug rather than a dietary supplement.
Moreover, much of the information about the possible side effects of the supplement are hidden. It is undisputable that the calcium-binding proteins, produced in the human organism, are free from side effects. However, there is the question of how a product produced artificially can be safe for people. Check for drug interactions despite the maker claiming that Prevagen is said to be non-toxic.
Last but not least, in a warning letter from the FDA in 2012, the company was accused of not reporting to the government adverse events like seizures, strokes and worsening symptoms of multiple sclerosis were reported to Quincy Bioscience as being associated with the use of Prevagen products. Additional reports on the effects of this supplement also included chest pain, tremors, fainting and other severe symptoms, according to the FDA. The FDA is waiting for the company’s response.
Verified Purchases Reviews
- Excellent but pricey- Brain felt younger and better. Over a buck, a day just seems a bit high, though.
- Brain cell protection- This is a great product has helped in the creation of a sharper mind, clearer thinking, and healthier brain.
- Feeling the difference- I noticed a difference relatively quickly. Probably by the end of the second bottle, my wife noticed that I seemed less stressed. I think it helps me to focus. I am going to keep using it. I believe it is helping.
- Works and tastes good too- Used to take the capsules and switched to chewable. Love them and I make one as soon as I get out of bed. Seems to be more useful in this form. Maybe my imagination, but I doubt it since I have been using this product for four or more years.
- Scary side effects- It was wonderful, and I loved it! After the two months, I was out of product for about a week, and the side effects were awful! I could not stay focused, three times as bad as before I took it. I also had concentration blackouts where I would be driving and all of a sudden; woke up and was totally lost and had no idea where I was. It happened three times in one day.
- Tried it, no impact on me- Tried them for two months with no perceptible benefit. Maybe it will work for you (Placebo’s work for many people).
- Disappointing: no detectable results and quite pricey- The first thing that stood out about this was the packaging; the illustrated plastic bottle is in a high-quality cardboard box also containing a carefully folded, nicely printed pamphlet. I suspect this packaging is to make it seem a top-notch product. Unfortunately, it is not. The only thing that stood out was the packaging. I have used Prevagen for several months and have detected no change in memory or mental acuity. Thus, I feel this is quite overpriced, and I recommend passing on this product.
Special Precautions and Warnings:
- Talk to your physician first as any consequences may occur.
- Take caution when using Prevagen with other prescription medications.
- Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There is not enough reliable information about the safety of taking apoaequorin if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
Prevagen might work best in those with no memory issues or mild memory problems. Additionally, it is not FDA approved, just to say the least. Age has some influences on the human body and Prevagen may be good for the brain but with the cited shortcomings, this product is not for patients.